Nicaraguan Pottery 8-inch Garden Life Pledge Pot, Blue/Multi
- Handcrafted in Nicaragua and signed by the artist
- Meticulously carved and painted with garden motifs
- Approximately 6 x 8 inches (DxH); each is unique and may vary from photos
- Highly collectible, brings a timeless expression of Central American culture to your home
- Not for use with food or water, wipe clean, do not immerse
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln, and then polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a beautiful object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.