Nicaraguan Pottery 5-inch Mini Hand Carved Vase, Dragonfly
- Delightful mini vase, designed and handcrafted in Nicaragua
- Carved and painted by hand; each is unique, so yours may vary somewhat from photos
- Approximately 4 x 5 inches (DxH), signed by the artist; not for use with water
- Highly collectible, other styles available
- Due to handcrafting, variations and minor imperfections should be anticipated
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln, and then polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a beautiful object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.