Jennifer Stas Pottery Prickly Pear Cactus 7-inch Round Bowl, Green/Multi
- Beautifully handcrafted pottery by North Carolina maker Jennifer Stas
- Artwork inspired by the desert southwest using the classic sgraffito carving technique
- 7.5 x 5.5 inches (DxH), 1.5-quart capacity; slight variations in size, pattern, and color should be expected
- Fully functional as a serving bowl or as a decorative accent on a shelf or table
- Lead-free, food-safe glaze, safe for microwave and dishwasher
Jennifer Stas is a full-time potter from Wake Forest, North Carolina. A 1994 graduate of Appalachian State University, she holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in ceramics, with concentrations in sculpture and fibers.
Jennifer's pottery is made of durable, mid-range stoneware clay. Each piece is handbuilt or thrown. No molds are used, so size, shape, and renderings will vary slightly. After a bit of drying, images are drawn and painted on the object using layers of colored slips, underglazes, and stains. A small loop tool is used to carve through these layers, revealing the underlying clay body. This classic pottery technique is called sgraffito.
After a bisque fire and more stains and oxides, a shiny glaze is poured on the inside surfaces and fired a final time to around 2200 degrees F. The finished pots have a velvety, satin texture on the outside, and a smooth glazed interior. All pieces are lead-free and safe for food, microwave, and dishwasher. They should not be put in the oven or on a direct heat source such as a cooktop.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.