Inspire Pottery Studio Soda Fired Mug with Dipped Rim, Blue
- Beautifully handcrafted mug by Pennsylvania potter, Joel Hildebrand
- Soda firing results in iridescent shades of brown; dipped rim in gorgeous cobalt blue
- Approximately 6 x 3.8 x 4.5 inches (LxWxH); holds about 16 ounces
- Lead-free, safe for microwave, oven, and dishwasher; engraved with artist's signature
- Individually handmade, so some variations in size, color, shape, and texture should be expected
This cozy mug is handmade using an array of pottery techniques. The lower half is embossed with an overlapping teardrop pattern, and the top is dipped in a beautiful blend of white and cobalt glazes. The foundation glaze is soda fired, which results in dynamic shades of brown with flashes of iridescence. Soda firing is accomplished by introducing baking soda into the kiln when the temperature is at 2,350 degrees F. The nature of the process means that every piece is unique. The shades of brown on the mug will vary from lighter to darker based on the volatility of the chemical reaction which occurs in the kiln. These variations give each mug a unique character and personality.
Joel Hildebrand, founder and owner of Inspire Pottery Studio, is a Lancaster, Pennsylvania native who spent nearly a decade abroad learning and refining unique techniques of throwing and firing clay. His versatile talent is manifested across a spectrum of styles, from traditional forms and glazes to clean and simple designs that are at home in contemporary settings. Joel, his wife Charity, and their five kids live in Denver, Pennsylvania.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.