African Fair Trade Handwoven Gourd Basket, Aqua/White
- Lidded gourd basket, handwoven in Senegal
- Sturdy construction from cattail stalks and strips of recycled plastic
- Approximately 9 x 13 (DxH) inches; due to handcrafting, variations in size and shape should be expected
- Created by Wolof women using their skills for supplemental income
- Imported by Swahili African Modern, a member of the Fair Trade Federation
A network of rural Wolof women from Senegalese villages are working together to create beautiful handcrafted baskets for export. Using locally harvested cattail stalks and strips of plastic used to make prayer mats, the women bring supplemental income to their households by weaving baskets between their daily duties. Because the baskets are individually handmade, variations in size, shape, and color should be anticipated and appreciated as confirmation of the human touch.
The baskets are imported by Swahili African Modern, a member of the Fair Trade Federation, an organization committed to providing fair wages to their artisan workers and creating products from sustainable materials.
We Also Recommend
African Fair Trade Zulu Telephone Wire 4-1/2" Small Triangle Basket, White Desert
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.