African Fair Trade Handwoven 10-inch Lidded Basket, Blue with White Blossoms
- Lidded basket, handwoven in Senegal, brings authentic African style to your home
- Sturdy construction from cattail stalks and strips of colorful recycled plastic
- Approximately 10 x 9 inches (DxH); due to handcrafting, sizes will vary
- Provides beautiful storage options throughout your home
- Created by Wolof women using their skills to help support their families
A network of rural Wolof women in nine Senegalese villages are working together to create beautiful handcrafted baskets for export. Using locally harvested cattail stalks and strips of plastic used to make prayer mats, the women bring supplemental income to their households by weaving baskets between their daily duties. Because the baskets are individually handmade, variations in size, shape, and color should be anticipated and appreciated as confirmation of the human touch.
The baskets are imported by Swahili African Modern, a member of the Fair Trade Federation, an organization committed to providing fair wages to their artisan workers and creating products from sustainable materials.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.