Nicaraguan Pottery Sea Life 8-inch Carved Dimpled Vase
- Designed and handcrafted by Nicaraguan potters
- Detailed etchings of iconic sea life accented with vibrant handpainted colors
- Approximately 6 x 9 inches (DxH); signed by the artist
- Each is unique, so yours will resemble but not exactly match the photos
- Highly collectible, artisan quality; not for use with water
A striking example of fine Nicaraguan pottery, this carved vase features meticulously detailed sea life motifs handpainted in rich and vibrant hues. The pinched neck adds depth and a unique profile.
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks. Polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a magnificent object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans. Due to handcrafting, variations should be expected and add to the originality of each piece.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.