Handmade Nicaraguan Pottery 7-1/2-inch Terra Pot, Each One Unique
- Designed and handmade in Nicaragua by talented indigenous makers
- Carved, sculpted, and painted by hand in shades of green, red, and brown
- Approximately 6 x 6 x 7-1/2 inches (LxWxH); signed by the artist
- Highly collectible, artisan quality; not for use with water
- Each pot is unique and may vary slightly from photos
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you might see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. Inside, skilled potters throw and shape the clay on a kick wheel. They paint the object using mineral oxides, then carve it, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is finished, they bake the pottery in a wood-burning kiln and then polish it to complete the creative process. The final product is an authentically beautiful object resulting from many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.