Nicaraguan Pottery Chevron 6-inch Carved Vase, Black and White
- Small decorative vase, designed and handcrafted by Nicaraguan potters
- Carved chevron pattern highlighted in dramatic black and white
- Approximately 5 x 6 inches (DxH); signed by the artist
- Highly collectible, artisan quality; not for use with water
- Individually handcrafted, so minor variations and imperfections should be expected
A carved geometric pattern and dramatic black and white contrast give this little Nicaraguan pottery vase contemporary appeal. It's a beautiful accent for a shelf or table.
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks, and then polishing
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.