Nicaraguan Pottery 9-inch Carved Mayan Faces Vase
- Designed and handmade in Nicaragua by talented indigenous makers
- Carved, sculpted, and painted by hand
- Approximately 8 x 9 inches (DxH); signed by the artist
- Highly collectible, artisan quality; not for use with water
- Each vase is unique and will vary somewhat from photos
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks. Polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a truly beautiful object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans. Due to handcrafting, variations should be expected and add to the originality of each piece.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.