Nicaraguan Pottery 6.5-inch Basket Weave Pattern Vase, Green
- Authentic Nicaraguan pottery, hand-carved and painted in a basket weave pattern
- Approximately 5 x 6 inches (DxH), dimensions may vary slightly
- Highly collectible, signed by the artist
- Not for use with water; dust with a dry or slightly damp cloth
- Due to handcrafting, variations and minor imperfections should be anticipated
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks, and then polishing
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.