Nicaraguan Pottery 5-inch Mini Carved Vase, Crab
- Delightful mini vase, designed and handcrafted in Nicaragua
- Carved and painted by hand; each is unique, so yours may vary somewhat from photos
- Approximately 5 x 4 inches (DxH), signed by the artist; not for use with water
- Highly collectible, other styles available
- Due to handcrafting, variations and minor imperfections should be anticipated
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you might see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
Once the carving is finished, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks. Polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a wonderful object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans. Due to handcrafting, variations should be expected and add to the originality of each piece.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.