Mundo Village Nicaraguan Pottery 7-inch Owl Candle Shade
- Designed and handcrafted in Nicaragua by skilled artisans
- Hand carved, etched, and painted; approximately 5 x 7 inches (DxH)
- Terracotta plate included; use with tealight or small votive (not included)
- Individually handcrafted, so some variations should be expected.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or within reach of small children
This pensive owl candle shade is meticulously etched and painted by hand in Nicaragua, and it's carved openings will cast a subtle, magical glow wherever it's displayed.
Some of the world's most distinctive pottery is created in San Juan de Oriente, Nicaragua, a small village nestled among volcanos alongside a picturesque lagoon. In a typical village scene, you're likely to see ox carts delivering clay and other materials to the various workshops. The clay is thrown on a kick wheel to form the shape, then painted using mineral oxides. In the next step, the pieces are carved, sgraffito style, using homemade tools typically fashioned from the spokes of a bicycle wheel. Once the carving is complete, the objects are baked in a wood-burning kiln constructed from adobe bricks. Polishing completes the creative process. The final product is a truly beautiful object, the result of many hours of loving labor at the hands of gifted artisans. Due to handcrafting, variations should be expected and add to the originality of each piece.
We Also Recommend
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.